Almost a week ago I’ve been interested in trying to make chocolate truffles. I decided to experiment a little with my liquor cabinet and add a little interest to these chocolate heavenly delicacies. Here is how to make them.
Black and White Dream Chocolate Almond Truffles
Ingredients for the White Ganache
1 bag (12 oz) white chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli white chocolate chips)
4 oz heavy cream
2 tbs Irish cream liqueur
Ingredients for the Dark Chocolate Ganache
1 1/2 bags (18 oz) Dark chocolate chips ( I used Hershey’s Special Dark chips for baking)
8 oz heavy cream
1 cup Slivered or chopped almonds
Powdered sugar to dust and cover truffles
Procedure for both white and dark chocolate ganache
- Add the chocolate chips to a heat proof bowl.
- Heat the cream in a saucepan until it is just about to boil (do not boil). Add the Irish cream liqueur and stir.
- Pour over the chocolate and let stand for 4 minutes. This allows time for the chocolate to melt. Then stir until smooth.
- If chocolate has not melted completely, put in microwave for 30 second intervals until completely melted.
- Let cool for some minutes at room temperature and then chill both bowls of chocolate for 5 to 10 min in the fridge for it to harden.
Take out the chocolate from the fridge and with a spoon start to scoop small amounts of dark ganache. Add almonds and shape into small balls, then place on a sheet of wax paper. You can line a baking sheet with wax paper, any tray or plate as well. Place those in the fridge one more time for a couple of min. Meanwhile, take the white ganache and scoop out small mounds of it as well, place in wax paper. No need to shape them until dark chocolate is ready. Prepare a small bowl or deep plate with powdered sugar and set near work area. After dark chocolate is ready, take one dark chocolate ball and cover with one of the scooped white chocolate mounds. Roll in your hands and shape them again into small balls. Place them on wax paper while finishing the rest. After that, wash hands and dry well. Take chocolate balls and roll them in the powdered sugar and cover completely. Place them again on wax paper and refrigerate. When ready to eat, take out a few minutes before if you want for them to soften a bit. Enjoy.